Wednesday, May 9, 2012


"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."
Psalm 23:4  (KJV)

The date was Wednesday, April 25, 2012.
I had finally, somehow, sometime during the long night....drifted into a restful sleep.
The phone rang at 4:10 am....jolting me awake.
I would not realize the significance of the time of this phone call until late that evening.

It was one of our favorite ICU third-shift nurses, Debbie, on the other end.

"Hello?"  My heart was pounding, jarring madly.

"Yes?"  My voice was shaking almost as much as I was.

"Your Mom isn't doing good.  Can you come?"

"Now?" I feared the worst.

"Yeah, I think you better get fast as you can."

"Okay." Reality was beginning to sink into my rattled completely and widely awake.

"Here, let me let you talk to the doctor."

He explained what was going on.  
Mom's oxygen had dropped....dangerously low.
They had tried, unsuccessfully, to reinsert the respirator tube.

"Will I have time to get there?  In time?  Before something happens?"
I dreaded his answer.

"All I can say is I'll try.  But, I feel that the end is very near."
His voice was bland...unsympathetic to my breaking heart....matter-of-fact.

It never ceases to amaze me how medical professionals have the uncanny ability to tune out emotions and human feelings at times like these.  

The phone had awoken Zachary, and he was already getting ready to go.
I called my sister, Debbie, and brother-in-law, LD, to tell them what was going on.
It turned out they were surprisingly already very much awake.

Something was going on.  Something unusual....and unnatural....even eerie.

Later, I would find out just how supernatural it really was.

I drove as fast as possible....the 33 miles to the hospital.
Kevin was just getting off work, so he went straight there and met me in her ICU.
He was holding her hand, standing by her bed, when we rushed in.

Memories of almost 12 years ago...same scenario, only it was Dad....flooded my anguished mind.

By then, Mom was awake and trying her best to talk....endeavoring to combat the force of the thrust of the BiPap pumping oxygen into her lungs past her throat.

She was so happy to see us.

It was like something miraculous had taken place.  

Hadn't they just told me she was dying?

By evening, she was off the BiPap machine, on regular oxygen, able to talk to us, and making us laugh with her stories and imagined adventures that had taken place during the hallucinations of her sedation.

God had indeed answered prayer and given us more time.

My family and I went to the cafeteria to eat during the break from visiting hours.  

I could see that LD was very troubled.

He began to tell me why.
(What I am getting ready to disclose may seem hard to believe, but I can assure you that I believe and embrace it with all my heart.  
The circumstances surrounding it are just too accurate to make me ever feel otherwise.)

Early that morning, LD had been transported to Mom's room by a supernatural vision that had left him very fearful.  He had seen Debbie, my sister, on one side of Mom's bed, and me on the other.  He was standing at the foot of Mom's bed between Debbie and me.  He saw a man walk in the room wearing a waist-length, white lab coat, white pants, and white shoes.  He assumed the man was an orderly.

The man walked over to Mom's bed and said, "I'm here to get ____________."  

LD said, "Oh, no, that's not ________________.  That is (Mom's name)."

The man said, "No, that is her old name.  _________________ is her new name."

In the vision, LD's mind went to the Scripture in Revelation 2:17 (KJV) that says, "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it."

The man was calling Mom by her new name....unknown to anyone other than her...the one who would receive it.

Fear fell upon LD as the realization of what was happening in front of his eyes began to sink in.  He said, "Oh, you must be the Death Angel.  But, I thought Jesus said that if we believe in Him, we would never die."

The man replied, " Oh, I am not Maveth.  He's bad.  You don't want him to come after you.  
I am Psalm 23. 
I am Tsalmaveth."

He then quoted the passage in Psalm 23:4 
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

LD fearfully and reverently replied, "But, wwwwait a minute.  We're not ready to let her go yet."

The man stood still listening to LD's plea, looking at Mom's near-lifeless form lying on the hospital bed.  
He hesitated for a few moments, then he said, 
"Well, I'll go tell the Master."  

He turned and walked out the door.

He never returned....with an answer....from the Master.

LD sat bolt upright in bed.   Terror overwhelmed him.  He could not move.  
He was disoriented and unsure of where he was.  
There was a figure standing in the hallway near the door of his and my sister's room.  
He felt a strange warmth inside and thought his sugar was elevated, since he is diabetic.  
He got his machine and tested his sugar.  
The time recorded of his test?
4:13 am.

He grabbed a piece of paper and hurriedly jotted down the name Maveth and Tsalmaveth.
But, for the life of him, he could NOT remember Mom's new name. 
He tried and tried, but it just would not come to him.

Four minutes later, recorded at 4:17 am on their caller ID, I had called, telling them I was on my way out the door to go to the hospital.

That evening, in the hospital cafeteria, as I sat and listened to LD telling me what he had experienced that morning, I asked him to talk to Debbie, the nurse, and get her side of what had happened in Mom's room that morning.  She was on duty again that night, and it was a perfect opportunity to try to get her side of what had happened.  He hesitated to reveal his vision to anyone else.  He felt it would be perceived as unbelievable.  I continued to encourage him to tell the nurse, so when we all got back up to Mom's room, he did.  

He called her out in the hall, and he began to share his vision with her.
She stood there, near speechless, as she listened to LD's vision.
Dumbfounded, she then told us what had happened....on her end.

These are her exact words.

"I have been in nursing for almost 30 years, and I have never seen anything like what happened in there this morning."  
She was looking into Mom's room as she spoke.
She went on to tell us that Mom's oxygen had dropped to 24.
Her fingers and hands were already turning purple.
She was completely unresponsive.
She was as limp as a dishrag.
She was dying....without any doubt.

All of a sudden, as the doctor tried to re-insert the respirator tube, life sprang into Mom.
She began to shake her head and began biting the tube...letting them clearly know that she did not want to be put back on the respirator.  

(I had begged God the night before to take the decision out of our hands as to whether or not to reinsert the respirator, should she ever need it again.  I could not bear the responsibility.  He had answered that allowing Mom to come to herself and make that decision on her own.)

As Mom fought the respirator, the doctor and nurse had stopped and granted her wish.
God had supernaturally, literally raised her from the dead...without any medical all.

All of this had happened right before the nurse had called me at 4:10.
All of this was going on during LD's vision right before he checked his sugar at 4:13.

The nurse told us that she felt that it was God's time to take Mom, but that He was trying to prepare us little by little and bring us to a place of acceptance.

Tsalmaveth had been room ICU....he had stood at Mom's bedside.
He had listened to LD's request.  
He had gone to tell the Master.  
The Master had graciously granted us more time.  
He was preparing us for what was ahead of us....only three days later.

After LD got home from the hospital late that night, he called to ask me if I had looked up Tsalmaveth in my Hebrew/Greek Dictionary.  
I told him no.  He told me to go look it up and call him back.

I looked up the word "death" in Psalm 23, and I found that the reference number to find the original word was #6757.  
I turned to the back of the book, almost trembling.  
I found #6757.  
Chills ran through me as I read the word, "Tsalmaveth".  
The meaning?  "Shade of death, i.e. the grave.  Shadow of death."

I looked at the next verse listed below Psalm 23 that contained the word "death", and I found that the reference number is #4194.  
Again, I turned to the back of the book, seeking #4194.  
When I got there, I found the word....."Maveth".  
The meaning?  "Death, the dead, their place or state - HADES.  Figurative meaning:  pestilence or ruin."

I sat heart beating fast.  
Confirmation in black and white that God had indeed sent Tsalmaveth to take my dear Mother home.
It was not Maveth.
She would go to her physical grave, but her soul would be carried to Paradise.
Not Hades.

Tsalmaveth was her room....a comforting, peaceful presence...sent by her dear Master to carry her home....on angel's a place of rest and serenity forever.
For some reason, when he had gone to tell the Master, the Master had granted us more time.
Time to accept His perfect will....for Mom.
Time for me and each one of us to come to the dreaded place of letting go....of turning loose....of resigning ourselves to the fact that it was our dear Mother's go to live with Jesus.

During those three days, a lot of things happened.  
Many words were said.
I have so much to I feel I am ready.....I will save those things for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, I am sorry for your loss. But the gift of knowing that your Mother is with the Lord is wonderful!
    I found your blog by searching the word "tsalmaveth" that I had looked up in The Blue Letter Bible. (Of course, I had to search through a lot of demonic entries of songs, art, and the like.)But I kept searching for a sighting because my sister told me about seeing tsalmaveth, not just once, but on several occasions. She was a Hospice nurse, and she has since past away. Now that I am getting older and ready to meet my Maker, I long for the peace that God promises in our new bodies!!